Skip to Main Content

Section 5: Financial Aid Programs:
Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards

Walden University’s satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements to receive Title IV student financial aid comply with U.S. Department of Education regulations. These standards are intended to establish minimum, reasonable levels of advancement toward degree completion and to guard against abuse of federal financial aid programs. Satisfactory progress requirements for receipt of federal financial aid are separate and distinct from the university’s academic progress requirements for academic continuance.

The requirements in this section also apply to Minnesota State Financial Aid Programs.

Satisfactory academic progress is reviewed for all students at the end of a payment period. All grades must be posted to the academic record before the SAP status will be determined. If the student is back in compliance with minimum standards after all grades are posted to the academic record for the payment period, federal aid eligibility will begin with the next payment period.

Students receive written notification via email to their Walden University email account if they are placed on financial aid warning status. Upon receiving this status, a student has one payment period to return to the standards listed in the following section. If the student does not meet these standards, they may appeal for one additional period of financial aid probation. If the appeal is not granted, the student becomes ineligible for federal financial aid.

It is the student’s responsibility to know the requirements for meeting satisfactory academic progress. Failure to receive notification will not nullify a student’s financial aid status with Walden University. Students considering a decision to withdraw from a class, drop a class, or stop participating in a class should check first with their student success advisor. Such a decision may affect their financial aid status.

For Washington State residents seeking information and resources about student loan repayment or seeking to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit Washington Student Loan Advocate or contact the Student Loan Advocate via email at