Walden University encourages transfer of credit from other institutions. Prior to admission to Walden, applicants may request an unofficial evaluation of transfer of credit. Transfer of Credit requests should be submitted during the application process. This can be done with unofficial transcripts.
Transfer-of-credit documentation, when requested, should be submitted to the Office of Admissions.
Normally, students are officially notified when credits are accepted for transfer to a program at the same time that they are given an offer of admission or during their first term of enrollment.
Official evaluation of credits for transfer to a program requires the following:
- Official transcript that reflects the course being evaluated
- Syllabi for courses being evaluated for transfer, upon request
- For non-U.S. institutions
- A copy of the catalog course description
- Evaluation and certification of transcripts by a credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Transfer credits will not be calculated into the Walden grade point average (GPA). Only Walden course grades will be included in the Walden GPA.
Note the following exceptions:
- Walden residency units completed at one degree level are not transferable in to a different degree level within Walden.
- Depending on the program, same-level residency units completed at Walden may be considered for transfer within same-level degree programs at Walden.
- Walden residency units completed prior to September 2006 are not transferable among Walden programs, as the residency requirements have significantly changed.
- Internships, practica, dissertations, doctoral studies, and theses are not permitted for transfer.
In addition to the university requirements for the transfer of credit, some colleges, schools, or programs specify other conditions. Students should check the Transfer Maximum by Program, as well as the program’s section in the Walden University Catalog, for program-specific transfer-of-credit requirements.
Transfer of credit for courses taken at other accredited institutions will be awarded using the current transfer of credit review procedure for Walden’s course-based programs. All program competencies are aligned with existing Walden courses. If a student is eligible for transfer of credit for a specific course, the aligned competencies are also eligible for transfer of credit.
Transferability of Walden Credits to Other Institutions
The transferability of credits earned at Walden University is at the discretion of the receiving college, university, or other educational institution. Students considering transferring to any institution should not assume that credits earned in any program of study at Walden University will be accepted by the receiving institution. Similarly, the ability of a degree, certificate, diploma, or other academic credential earned at Walden University to satisfy an admission requirement of another institution is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Accreditation does not guarantee credentials or credits earned at Walden University will be accepted by or transferred to another institution. To minimize the risk of having to repeat coursework, students should contact the receiving institution in advance for evaluation and determination of transferability of credits and/or acceptability of degrees, diplomas, or certificates earned.